Judgment

>> Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I find it interesting how quick we are to judge. We have a handicapped pass for our car because my husband has MS and we have a son who has severe neuro problems and therefore can't sit or walk (he is very heavy too!!). It's safe to say our parking pass is justified. But it never ceases to amaze me how many people will judge us. Countless times people will walk behind our van to see if we have a pass or not. Some old ladies will even shake their heads at us or do a double-take. They judge us based on who knows what...maybe my husband's age, maybe we just look like the type of family who wants to take advantage of close parking! I don't know. Years ago a cop pulled over my husband just because he didn't look handicapped. What is handicapped suppose to look like might I ask???

I have to admit I often give in to the thoughts of others. Even if my husband is having a good day and can walk without the use of his cane I'll tell him to take his cane anyway just so people will see it when he gets out of the car. As if I have to justify our pass to complete strangers. But if people knew our story maybe they wouldn't judge. Maybe they wouldn't peer behind our van. I'm not above judgment, however. I've done it too...jump to big conclusions without knowing someone's story. My thoughts run wild when I'm at the checkout behind a mom who has lost control of her young ones. I've wagged my finger at people inside my head when I see them doing something I don't agree with. But I need to stop and remember that I don't know their story. It's usually not for me to know. Just like I don't want everyone to know my business, I don't need to know everyone else's. It's not for me to judge.

2 comments:

Anonymous March 6, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

That's a great story and a great reminder...

Here's a silly one: I wear a really nice (at least I think it's nice) leather coat. It looks brand-new and top-of-the-line.

But you know, of course, where I got it and how much I paid for it.

So do people think I'm a snobby rich lady because I'm wearing a high-quality leather coat?

I wonder...

Anonymous March 6, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

(psst...for people who don't know me as well as Susan, the coat came from Goodwill. Their coats cost $9.99.)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP