Scribing

>> Thursday, March 6, 2008

I've never been a big fan of devotionals. There's usually one verse at the top of a page and three-four paragraphs of some person's commentary or cute little story on that one verse. They totally annoy me. Give me more Scripture and maybe a *few* words of insight on that Scripture. But don't overload me with another human's interpretation of Scripture.

I really want to know my Shepherd's voice. And the best way to do that is to really dig into the Word. But my Bible study over the years has been rather random and spontaneous. I pick up the Bible, open it and tend to read whatever I land on (my Bible professors would be appalled!). Despite this rather wimpy method of studying, God has used it powerfully in my life. Sometimes, the words jump off the page and speak volumes to me. But lately, I've been craving more Bible study, more depth, maybe something a little more intentional. Well, today I jumped over to my dear friend, Ann's blog and she had a whole list of creative ways to study the Bible. One idea in particular was writing out the Bible. It's called scribing. Why didn't I think of that?? So simple and yet so effective. Ever since my kids were in Kindergarten I've been having them copy out verses, poems, speeches because not only do they learn grammar, spelling, etc this way but they also retain what they're studying better if they write it out.

So today, I'm going to get started. I haven't decided which book of the Bible to choose yet. I'm praying for direction. Maybe Acts? Or one of the Gospels? But I have just the journal book in mind and my colored pencils are all sharpened and ready for making my own observations in the margins. I haven't been this excited about studying the Bible in a long time. Thank Ann, I'm inspired!

3 comments:

Anonymous March 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Yay! I'm glad that those ideas (they aren't even mine--I just compiled other people's great ideas) gave you something to try.

I hope you find some really rich treasure, spoken directly to you by the Good Shepherd Himself.

(btw, I compiled a longer list with everybody's ideas from the comments. It's the current post)

collinsfamily3 March 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

I'm having one of our girls scribe as we speak!

Anonymous February 5, 2009 at 7:41 PM  

We have a technique in therapy where the students copy paragraphs. They finish off with a summary sentence. Maybe that's what you were going to do in those margins, but every so often summarizing what you've written will force you to focus even more. Go for it!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP