Natural Body Care

>> Monday, February 16, 2009



It's important to think about everything we put into our bodies. But we can't forget about what we put on our bodies as well. Our skin is the largest organ we have. What we put on it affects what happens underneath it. Typically lotions, shampoos, soaps, etc. are full of harmful chemicals.

I've been successful at replacing most of my hair care products. I have discovered tea tree shampoo from Trader Joe's that I love that are free from sodium laureth sulfate. They also have a deodorant that is made without aluminum (another ingredient I try to avoid). I haven't found any all-natural makeup products that I like yet but I'm still searching.

But my most recent discovery that I'm very excited about is Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap. Made with the purest ingredients, including organic coconut, olive, hemp and jojoba oils and scented with organic essential oils, these are high-lathering soaps that foam naturally, without any foaming agents. I discovered it as I was looking for an all-natural soap to use on the babies. I was skeptical because I bought what seemed like a small bottle for $5. But once I got it home, I quickly realized that it only took a few drops to really lather up my little monkeys and now their skin has never felt softer. Then, I started using it for my face wash and it has never felt smoother. And because a little goes a long way, it's not as expensive as I thought.

But what's even more exciting is that you can use it all around the house. Apparently, there are 18 different uses: laundry detergent, dish detergent, hand soap, even pet shampoo. So now I'm really getting more bang for my buck. AND at the same time I'm confident that I'm using something that is healthier for my body and my environment.

I'm hooked.

6 comments:

collinsfamily3 February 17, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

can you convince trader joes to move down here?

Susan Ginn February 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

Actually, I don't buy my Dr. Bronner's at Trader Joes. I bought mine at Whole Foods. But I've seen it sold many other places too. Some people order theirs online. You can check azurestandard.com or somethingbetternaturalfoods.com. You might especially like their Baby Mild soap. I've replaced my traditional baby shampoo for good!

Anonymous February 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

Ok now... this almost sounds like the fast food article. The soap you are using on your skin is also a CLEANING PRODUCT. You can wash your DOG or your CAR. Ugh! (jk)

Susan Ginn February 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Yes, you can wash your car or your body because it's made of natural oils...tea tree oil, jojoba oil, etc. It's natural and safe for anything!!

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

I use it, too, Susan. I used TJ's version. Then I bought Dr. Bronner's. It's got quite a peppermint kick! But I love it, love it, love it.

The only thing I don't like on Dr. Bronner's is the wacky New Age messages on the side of the bottle. I ended up pouring it into a smaller bottle just so I didn't have to look at the text while I shower. It was annoying me every morning.

Susan Ginn March 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

I know what you mean about all the new age comments. In fact, Parker was asking me about that. I might use your idea and use another bottle. Have you tried some of the other scents? I use non-scented but wondered what some of the others are like.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP