Popcorn

>> Monday, February 23, 2009


We have become completely addicted to popcorn in our family. So much so that we're buying corn in bulk now (organic of course!). We have ditched the microwavable stuff for good and have turned toward the goodness of homemade. So healthy and so yummy!
Here are some tips for successful popcorn making...
1. Choose a pot with a heavy bottom but not too big and not too small. My hubby likes to use our 3 quart saucepan.
2. Heat 1/4 cup oil on high. Choose your oil carefully. Make sure it's an oil that is best suited for medium to high heat. Coconut oil, grapeseed oil or sesame oil are good choices. Some people use olive oil but we haven't had good success and it's not meant to be used for high heat. AVOID canola, it's not that healthy. Experiment. Different oils will give you different flavors. Grapeseed is our personal favorite.
3. Drop one kernel of corn into the bottom of a hot pan and cover with a lid. When it pops, add a single layer of corn to the bottom of the pan and re-cover.
4. Turn heat down to medium high as corn continues to pop, occasionally shaking back and forth. You might want to dump some of the popcorn into a bowl to allow space for the rest of the popcorn to pop.
5. Remove from heat when there's about 15 seconds in between "pops".
6. Serve immediately with flavors of choice. Experiment with different toppings. Some like parmesan cheese, some like honey and butter. There are a gazillion different ideas out there. We're rather boring in our family and prefer plain old salt.
For popcorn inspiration click here.
ENJOY!

4 comments:

Anonymous February 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I want to come over and have some!

Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

Mmmmm....we love popcorn, too, and haven't had it in a while.

The other day I made it when a guest was over. I pulled out one of those old air poppers. "What's THIS?" They were intrigued, but that thing easily overheats. So when it stalled and there were still kernels, I quickly put them in a pot and did it on the stove, like you just described.

The guest was equally AMAZED. "What are you doing with the popcorn?"

"Popping it!"

"On the stove?"

She had never seen it done that way, I guess. Always in the microwave...

I felt very old. Or old-fashioned. And I'm not THAT old-fashioned. I mean, I love my computer. I Twitter, for crying out loud!

Anyway, they loved the popcorn, and I love your post. I'm heading out to find grapeseed oil tomorrow!

Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Boy does that bring back memories. Nearly every night Dad would make popcorn in his big pot and stand there and shake it back and forth. His preferred topping was butter, of course. And he had to have a cold Pepsi to wash it down with. We never got one, though. The good old days! Do you remember?

Susan Ginn March 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

I do remember. In fact, I've been thinking of that as John is making it. I love that he's creating memories for our kids just like dad did for us.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP