Natural Healing

>> Friday, February 20, 2009

My foster baby has a cleft lip/palette. He is very prone to getting ear infections. He got one this week but I decided NOT to take him to the doctor and put him on yet another antibiotic which destroys the good bacteria in his gut and makes him prone to even more infections. This time I treated him with natural oils (yes, Laurie the same oils I wash my dog with!). I mixed 1T olive oil and 5-10 drops of tea tree oil, warmed it in the microwave for 30 seconds and put about 10 drops of this solution in his ear. Within 2 days he was completely back to normal and his immune system was spared.

In fact, tea tree oil has over 1000 different uses. It's known for it's antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. My kids use it to help with acne. We also use it for dry scalp. I've even used it for ringworm!! (when you have foster kids, you get all kinds of things coming through your house!). Two of my babies have feeding tubes which are prone to infected tissue called granulomas. I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun to try and heal their tummies, including prescriptions, but nothing worked like tea tree oil. No more granulomas. It might be worth keeping a bottle of this invaluable oil in your house.

Another one of my all-time favorite remedies is Emergen-C. My nurse practioner recommended this to me awhile ago and now my whole family swears by it. We start taking it at the first signs of a cold or virus. Or we take it under times of stress to help boost our immune systems. Olivia takes it every year when she's dancing in the Nutcracker (a very high period of stress!) just as a precaution and she's one of the few dancers that doesn't get sick during production week. You can buy Emergen-C just about anywhere...Walgreens, CVS, Kroger. Each packet contains 1000mg of Vitamin C and other essential vitamins. Vitamin C is essential for keeping your immune system healthy.

And for times of dehydration, skip the Gatorade which is full of sugar and try coconut water instead. Known for it's healing properties, coconut water (not to be confused with coconut milk) is as close to human plasma as anything else you can find. It has more potassium than a banana and 15 times more potassium than Gatorade. If you want to learn more about coconut water click here.

And of course don't forget about yogurt (preferably homemade). Most of your immune system lies within your gut. Your gut needs good bacteria to stay strong and fight infection. Yogurt is full of good bacteria and will keep your gut happy. If you gut is happy, then the rest of your body is happy.

Here's to your health!

4 comments:

KellytheKitchenKop.com February 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

This is so helpful, I'm adding it to my "remedies" list at my site, thank you!

Kelly

Anonymous February 21, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

Oooh... you wash your dog in it too?? just kidding.

Is the site you gave where you buy your oil? Which size do you get? What about the grapefruit seed oil? What is that like/for?

Susan Ginn February 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

I buy my Dr. Bronner's at Whole Foods because they have a "baby mild" version I like. It's a small bottle. Trader Joe's has Dr. Bronner's and it seemed like a fairly good price for a big bottle. They also have their own brand of castile soap but it's not organic and I trust Dr. Bronner's more.

Are you talking about grapeseed extract? Some people take that who have yeast problems. I use it for washing my veggies because it counteracts any pesticides and fungus that might reside on the skins. I know there are a thousand other uses for it though, but those are the only two I'm familiar with.

Kimberly May 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM  

Hi, I do a Natural Cures blog carnival every Tuesday. Please consider submitting this page to today's carnival on home remedies.

Glad to know about coconut water's attributes, I like it but didn't know it was so nutritious and healing.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP